Thursday, November 10, 2011

Weekly Update for November 13, Hurt


Tonight, as last night, I listen to the cries of women at a shelter
Some sleep for the first time in a long time
Others can’t; there are nightmares
Whimpers
Tossing
And turning

To understand the pain is to understand the call
It is easy to turn away, ignore the pain
Pretending to care, but caring for self,
Pretending to love, but loving self
Is it they who are lost
Have we given our all?

To love is
To sacrifice
Care
Bare
Share one another’s pain
As we walk together

There it is again
Tossing and turning
Crying
Whimpers
They Dream of the pain they experience
Tomorrow


This week as I prepared for my sermon I couldn’t help but think of my surroundings as I worked at the homeless shelter we are operating each night. I normally enjoy the time alone after everyone is asleep. I get to work with no distractions late at night, but tonight I couldn’t help but think of the words I wrote above. The pain individuals endure as a result of their environment. I realized how blessed I am, to understand in part and to be there and be a part of a church that is making a difference in the lives of others.

Tonight I also heard complaints about the homeless. There are always those who will complain, tonight they came from an unlikely source, a few employees at the Department of Corrections next door who don’t like the homeless and have made their opinions clear to others. There are those at the DOC who do like what we do though, they like it because they have seen us go out of our way to show concern by giving bottled water on a hot day when they can’t get into their offices. They have appreciated the fruit baskets we have delivered. Some have made referrals to the shelter or day program and have seen positive results. Yes there are the complaints, but they are always from those who don’t know.

There is another benefit of working and observing; the discovery of the amazing way God works. This week as I prepared for the sermon for the week, following the series, Finding Jesus in Contemporary Culture, I use as a point of reference the scripture Psalm 23, and Psalm 9:9. God cares for the hurting soul and as we are called to be imitators of God, we need to find that place where we care. There is the hope of eternal life that awaits each of those who are followers of Jesus, there is more than that though, there are ways to find joy, despite our pain, ways to find security in the arms of God, despite our circumstance. To reflect on that for me tonight, was a blessing as I realized; I also need the message of the Good Shepherd and a God who provides not only protection from the enemy, but the seclusion and fortitude that comes from being within the fortress of God.

Yeah, there are lessons to learn, things to experience, I only hope I can become the lover of souls that God has called me to. I pray God uses me to model the behavior to a congregation of people that comes from all walks of life. I pray that not just for me though, I pray that for us all.

As always, the bulletin is attached, and for those receiving this email via some other means other than email, feel free to contact us with your email address so we can include you in our email list. Visit our website at www.mosaicwichita.com and share the link with others as the site changes weekly.

There is so much happening at Mosaic and God is at work, be in prayer as He continues to move for the development of our worship team, youth ministry, and other things He would have us do.

Blessings to you, and hope to see you this weekend,

Pastor Mike

Check out the video for this week, think about the Biblical concepts we could come up with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp4UI_FxGLE



Lastly, we now have a way folks can contribute to Mosaic online. If interested in sharing with Mosaic online you can visit the following link and do so. Just designate what your gift is for when you donate, you can designate gifts for ‘general funds,’ ‘capitol campaign,’ or ‘homeless program.’





If the button doesn’t appear, you can give at the following link - https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=G6KQJMMUS72CA

All contributions to Mosaic are tax-deductible. If mailing contributions to Mosaic, you can send them to the following address:

Mosaic Wichita
216 S. Market St.
Wichita, KS 67202

Blessings to you and have a great week.

Mike

The Keystone Kid

Facebook

The Virtual Pew

Movie Reviews

Twitter

Mosaic Wichita Facebook Page

Personal Web Site

No comments:

Post a Comment